After a long break, I continued to work on the second Warsaw street fighting scene, and started to work on some figures to be added to the Panzer II tank. I bought a resin figure set from Stalingrad. The figures are ok, featuring some nice poses. I replaced the heads with Hornet offerings, and the rifles and the other equipment is from my spare box.
I built all three figures, reworking the poses and fixing some flaws. Then I painted the first figure and added it to the base:
Now I also added the second figure:
Finally, I added the third and last figure to the scene:
I also continued working on the base. I added veneer stripes to the sides, stained and varnished them. After that, I painted the base colors of the paving using acrylics:
I covered the tank with a base layer of Tamiya panzer grey, followed by an oils based filter and pinwash. After that, I added stains, streaks and other details again using oils. Finally, I added a first layer of pigments below the fenders:
Now the tank is finished and attached to the base. The tracks are from Friul. There will be also some figures at a later stage:
I finished building the panzer so that it is ready to be painted now. The build went smoothly, I added some scratch built parts to the running gear and also to the tow shackles at the front of the tank. Apart from that, all parts are either from the Tamiya kit or the PE set. The 20mm gun and the MG are from an Aber set:
I also started with the base, which will be very simple, consisting only of a strip of resin cobblestone pavement. The white stones are made from plaster and are used to fill a gap between the resin parts.
I have an Tamiya Panzer II kit on the stash, that I want to use in a small scene, again based on a historical picture:
So it will be a very simple scene, the tank and some soldiers seeking cover behind the tank. I also ordered two PE sets from E.T. models (a general upgrade set and a fender set). There are some figures coming with the kit, that fit quite well to the poses on the picture, so I will still need some thoughts on how to build the figures used.
I finished and painted the last figure of the pak crew, and fixed is to the base:
And this is how the finished scene looks now:
To make things more interesting, I will add some details to the scene. I bought a bike kit from Masterbox some time ago that also contains some nice PE add-ons. I did not like the thin and fragile plastic bike frame of the kit at all, so I decided to rebuild the bike from brass parts. This also allowed me to keep the wheels and other parts movable, which made painting a lot easier. The kit also contains a hand bag and an umbrella, which I will scatter across the pavement, together with a self made Polish newspaper (from Magic Sculp and a self made decal):
The bike is just being painted (some details and washes are still missing).
Now everything is finished and attached to the base:
The little panzer I is now ready and fixed to the base:
I now started painting the tank. I primed the model using Gunze Mr Surfacer, and then applied Tamiya German grey on top of it. Weathering was then done using pigments for dirt, and oils and enamels for dust and everything else. The tank is almost finished now:
I also worked on the Panzer I, and I almost finished the build (apart from the towing cable and the headlights). I added a very nice brass upper hull from Aber, which involved a lot of soldering, but building it was actually some real fun. So that is the tank right now:
So it is almost ready to get painted.