Finished

Now I have finished the Puma build. Construction went well and very fast, as I didn’t wanted to show interior details, apart from the two hatches on top of the turret. But these two were planned to be filled with the two SS tanker figures, so also no need to apply more detail than the rudimentary gun breech from the kit.

The vegetation on the base is from Silhoutte, and turns out to be quite realistic. The grass on the base was airbrushed and highlighted using Tamiya acrylics, but the foliage on the “bushes” that were used to camouflage the vehicle were used from the box, after receiving a layer of matt varnish (also to cover the shiny spots from glueing the foliage to the branches). Attaching the foliage is a quite stressful endeavour, and finally I got the best results by cutting the foliage material into small pieces, that were then attached with a slow, gel-like superglue from the hobby shop. CA used for PE dries out to fast, and also the gel structure helps to attach the material much better. I also tried white glue, but this dries way to slow.

Actually applying the bushes as camouflage was fun, and I managed to strike the balance between applying an sufficient amount of bushes to appear realistic (which is a lot, as can be seen from historic reference fotos), and still being able to show some details of the vehicle.

The figures are stock Alpine.

Advertisements

New project: heavy reconnaissance vehicle “Puma” (Sd Kfz 234/2)

Having finished the Panzwerfer and also on the way to finish the Nebelwerfer, I started work on a new vehicle, the eight – wheeled recon car 234/2, which is the version using the turret of the abandoned “Leopard”  project, featuring a 5cm gun. The German eight – wheeled recon cars proved to be very useful despite some shortcomings, exhibiting a very good off-road performance, and influenced many post-war designs. I also like the look of the 234s, which to me are among the most elegant German vehicles used in WW2.

The vehicle will be from SS-Panzer-Aufklaerungsabteilung 1 located in France during the summer of 1944.

The kit is from Dragon, and I also bought some PE add-ons from Aber (covers of the stowage cases in the fenders) and Voyager Model, a turned gun barrel and a PE / resin set from Voyager to make the wheel suspension movable.

The latter turned out to be quite unnecessary, as I used the kit´s plastic parts instead of the resin parts, which can be used as well after some cutting and drilling. Actually, the suspension can be made fully movable with only using the kit parts and some brass rods.

I started to work on the suspension. The quality of the kit is very high so far, with nice and crisp details.