Almost finished

In the meantime, I finished painting the peasant couple as well as the tanker, and fixed the figures to the base:

I also started to paint the last figure, another German soldier, where I am currently highlighting and shading the uniform:

soldat_1-03

Painting the Panzerbefehlswagen I

Now I have completed the model, and started to paint the model using Tamiya German Grey. Then I started to paint the details on the Tank with Vallejo acrylics.

Now painting and weathering is finished. I used oils, enamels for the dust effects and pigments on the tank. Now only the wood beams on the back are missing.

The tracks were burnished using a burnishing liquid, and then dusted using enamels and paints. Some links where placed on the glacis plate as spare track links.

I also fixed the Panzerbefehlswagen to the base:

The figures

The peasant couple is now finished and already primed, like the soldier from Alpine. For this figure, I also crafted another head from a Hornet head and a overseas cap, which is more lively and also somehow aggressive, which helps to convey the “invader” topic of the overall scene. Finally I noticed that the figures from the Dragon Panzerbefehlswagen kit are too large, so I started to build the tanker also from scratch. As this guy will peep out of the hatch on top of the tank, the boots will not be visible, so I used the large Dragon parts there.

The tanker figure is now finished and in the course of being painted:

The base and the figures

I started to work on the base, which will be very simple: a part of a plain trail with some grass on its side. As I only started to paint it, it looks very toy-like at the moment.

There will also be some figures, a soldier from Alpine, a tanker (reworked from one of the figures that come with the Dragon tank) and a Russian peasant couple, that will be scratch built. I already started with the woman, it is on the way to get finished soon:

Panzerbefehlswagen I

I started the next project with the assembly of the tank. The idea is to use a PE Panzer IB hull from Aber, and to build the characteristic top of the hull  from the kit parts. I am in the process of soldering the upper hull together, which is actually a lot of fun :

Now I fitted the upper hull from the original kit parts into the brass hull, and reworked the weld seams from Magic Sculp. I regretted a little to cut away again a lot of the brass hull, but I think this was the best solution to fit the parts together. There is still much brass left, and I try to replace a lot of plastic, especially rods and tubes with brass, as metal simply looks better.

I also continued with the hull, adding the exhaust and the rear fenders. I also built the runing gear, and replaced the kit shock absorbers of the foremost road wheel with a more accurate version scratchbuilt from brass and copper. The other parts are from the Dragon kit or the Aber PE set. Finally, I bought tracks from Friul, and started to put some of the links together:

And again some progress:

New project – Panzerbefehlswagen I in Russia

Inspired by the fun I had building the small Panzer I, and by some great historical reference pictures, I decided to build a Panzerbefehlswagen I (SdKfz 265). These are the references, from Russia in 1941:

The vehicle has a very awkward look, and the stowage also looks great. The kit I have is from Dragon, and I also got hold of two Aber PE sets for a Panzer I B. So some parts have to be scratch build, including the typical frame antenna. I look very much forward to building this one!