Finished!

After a long time building this small diorama featuring an burnt out Opel and four Dragon figures it is finally finished. I am very happy with the result. The final steps were carried out by attaching shoulder straps (made from paper and some brass parts from Aber) to the remaining rifles and then painting the rifles. The final fixation of the figures to the base brought no further difficulties.

And that is how the finished diorama looks like:

 

Advertisements

rust and pigments & figures

I reworked the Opel using the Lifecolor rust set. The colors are very good to use, they can be thinned very heavily and still dry totally matt. Here they are:

LC Rust Set

I applied these (from light to dark) on the already rusted areas. Then I applied pigments in light colors (light dust, concrete etc).

The look of the debris was enhanced using different pigments (brick colors mixed from pastel chalks, rubble) that I sprinkled over the bricks and then fixed using pigment fixer.

As a final touch I also added some dark oils to the rims of the steel door.

This is the final look of the diorama base:

Figures

To achieve a better fit of the figures to the base, I applied dirt using different oils and humbrol colors. Humbrols were used for earth colors, and oils for dust and traces of brick dust:

Now the figures are ready to be fixed to the base. Then I will finish the helmets and the weapons.

Painting the Karabiner Kar98k

One figure is carrying a Karabiner (rifle) on its back, therefore I painted it already:

Karabiner

  • priming by airbrushing Tamiya black
  • Careful drybrushing of the metal parts with Humbrol Silver (011)
  • These areas are then muted with heavily thinned oil color (Paynes Grey)
  • Then the wooden parts are painted using a base paint mixed from  Vallejo 983 (Flat Earth) and 824 (German Cam Orange Ochre)
  • Then fine streaks are applied using sepia ink, Vallejo 871 (Leather Brown), 983 and 824
  • As final touches some point washes and stains are made using black and brown / umber oils
  • The drybrushing with silver is then finally repeated on some exposed areas

Flesh colors

I paint skin colors using both acrylics and enamels.

The colors used are shown below:

Hautfarben

  • B is the base color used for all skin parts. It is mixed from Vallejo Model Color acrylics: 815 (Basic Skintone), 818 (Red Leather), 873 (US Field Drab) and a little 950 (Black)
  • H1 – H3 are the highlight colors, resulting from mixing more and more 815 and 951 (White) to the base color.
  • S1 and S2 are used for shadows. They are mixed from Humbrol 73 (Wine) and 110 (Wood) for S1 and 22 (Black) for S2 respectively.

The highlight colors are heavily thinned and applied in layers. Painting with acrylics is all about controlling the amount of color on the brush, so always thin the color and get rid of excess paint by unloading the brush on a paper towel before approaching the model.

The enamels are also applied heavily thinned and are immediately blended carefully using a clean brush moistened with turpentine.

Figures and heads

Now I finally finished the last figure for now. I also started to paint the heads and hands. The last figure already has its hands attached:

This is how the hands look like:

Haende

The eyes have been painted, and also the heads have been painted in the base color and then highlighted:

Figures – continued

Unfortunately I did not find time to post new material for quite some time. Since the last post I continued painting the figures.

After some critical review, I decided to repaint the uniform of the first figure. The color looks now more natural, and also the shadowing of the creases looks better:

The second figure is also finished for now:

I just started painting the third figure:

After finishing all four figures, I will continue with painting the heads and hands, and then the rifles. Still some way to go…

And of course Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Figures – start

During the last weeks, I built the figures and started painting them. I kept the arms, heads and hands apart for ease of painting. The parts of the gear were then cut into shape using the Dremel tool and a hobby knife to make them fit to the underlying parts of the figures (e.g. the bread bags). I then also added parts of the carrying straps from Milliput.

Then the figures and all parts left were primed using Tamiya grey, and then I started painting them. One figure is now finished except for the boots (I will paint these after the heads and the hands are finished and glued to the figures).

The painted figure:

Almost everything is painted using Vallejo acrylics, only for deeper recesses (gas masket can, canteen, mess kit) a slight oil wash was used. Seams were also highlighted and shadowed using acrylics.

I also started with the second figure:

The uniform jacket is already shadowed and highlighted, outlining is still missing. The belt and the ammunition pouches are also finished, the bread bag received its base color.