After fixing the Kuebel to its base, and adding some stowage (some scratchbuilt, some from the spares box), I started to paint the figures. Both were stock figures, requiring slight changes to make them fit to the windscreen position as shown in the reference picture. Then painting started. I also added a board with a map, which is actually a real Dora map.
Having finished painting the figures, I fixed them to the car. Now this scene is also finished.
I have finished the build of the vehicle, which went quite smooth after having built another Kuebelwagen just before. I also added some jerry/water cans, and put the car on its base. Now I will start adding some more stowage, as well as two figures.
I also added some more stowage:
After finishing the Kuebelwagen, I painted the two Alpine SS soldiers, which took some time due to the camouflage clothings, but worked out well in the end. I then fixed them to the base, and with that the scene is finished:
I painted the Kuebelwagen (belonging to a Fallschirmjaeger unit) and placed a dead (wounded) soldier in the car. Then it was placed on the base:
I want to build another Kuebelwagen, being inspired from a well known wartime reference picture:
It shows a vehicle from “Sonderkommando Dora”, a special operation conducted in June 1942. The goal was to gain intelligence on the enemies’ positions south of Lybia, and to interrupt the allied supplies arriving that way. This operation was called “Kommando Dora”, and the aforementioned “Sonderkommando” was part of this operation, with the goal of mapping parts of southern Lybia for military purposes.
The picture now shows two soldiers sitting on a Kuebelwagen and studying a map, in the middle of some impassable area covered with large blocks of basalt.
On the fender of the car the emblem of this operation, a scorpion, is also visible:
During finishing the Sd Kfz 231, I started working on a long planned idea, an ambushed Kuebelwagen and two SS soldiers carefully exploring the situation. The soldiers are the well known ones from Alpine, and the Kuebelwagen is from Tamiya, with some PE add ons from Aber.
I have already almost finished the build of the vehicle. To ease painting, I will add the doors, seats and other details after I painted the chassis. The rods holding the canvas are from the Aber set and are soldered together. The canvas itself was added from putty. The gratings on the floor are carved out and will be remade from styrene sheet.