rust and pigments & figures

I reworked the Opel using the Lifecolor rust set. The colors are very good to use, they can be thinned very heavily and still dry totally matt. Here they are:

LC Rust Set

I applied these (from light to dark) on the already rusted areas. Then I applied pigments in light colors (light dust, concrete etc).

The look of the debris was enhanced using different pigments (brick colors mixed from pastel chalks, rubble) that I sprinkled over the bricks and then fixed using pigment fixer.

As a final touch I also added some dark oils to the rims of the steel door.

This is the final look of the diorama base:

Figures

To achieve a better fit of the figures to the base, I applied dirt using different oils and humbrol colors. Humbrols were used for earth colors, and oils for dust and traces of brick dust:

Now the figures are ready to be fixed to the base. Then I will finish the helmets and the weapons.

Advertisements

The base is waiting for the figures…

Now I finished the bricks and the rubble in the space where the figures are to be placed. And this how it looks like (the holes / brass rods show where the figures will be fixed to):

Sockel 01     Sockel 02

To the right of the Opel I added two burnt out jerry cans:

Kanister 01    Kanister 02

During spring this year, I already started building the figures, and added ammunition pockets made from Milliput:

Patronentaschen 01

Now I will continue to build and paint the figures.

 

Opel fixed to the base

I added some more details to the base, and finally fixed the Opel to its place. Behind the door I added some steel beams and a sign (from a German wartime factory):

Hinter Tür    Schild hinter Tür

The bricks around the Opel were then blackened with enamel paint and oils:

Unter Kadett schwarz

And this is how the base looks like now:

Now I have to finish the rubble, and then move on to the figures…

burnt out Opel painted

After my summer holidays, I continued working on the Opel. I attached the registration plate holders and reworked the roof. Then everything was primed with Tamiya flat black.

Then I used different oil paints (Paynes’ grey and white) on the model, applying small dots of color and then blending them with a clean brush moistened with turpentine. The blending brush must be almost dry, so it is important to remove as much turpentine as possible on a paper towel before blending the colors.

After this has dried, rust was applied using thinned ochre yellow and burnt siena, and also blended.

As reference, I collected some pictures of burnt out cars in different states of decay. Light rust of a bright orange color seems to appear immediately after the burning, and this look I wanted to create. As time goes by, the car wreck continues to rust, with the rust becoming darker.

Now I have to attach the roof and rework the paint job, where the roof is glued to the car. Maybe I will also use some pigments.

And that is how the Opel looks like:

converting the burnt out Opel

For some time I have been busy with converting the Opel, which is now almost ready to get painted. Only the roof, which will be fitted after painting the car, and the registration plates are missing. For the roof, I will use the kit part, thinned using my Dremel tool, and also be scratched and bent. The registration plate holders will be made from brass sheet.

The remaining parts of the seats are made from copper wire, and some parts (pedals, gear switch, steering wheel) are made from brass. Apart from that, the kit parts where used. Some parts were thinned with the Dremel and some dents were created with my sculpting tools after the plastic was made soft using a soldering iron cautiously held above the surface.