I started to build the cycle, and this was surprisingly sobering. Before this kit, I had a look at three others, when I first built the BMW R75. There is the very old and outdated kit from Tamiya, which features a very good reproduction of the fork of the front wheel, and there is a kit from Italeri, that has nicely detailed parts like the engine cylinders, but also gross mistakes. The one I used as basis for my first build is the kit from Masterbox, which has many correct features and follows the composition of the original bike quite closely.
Talking about the Lion Roar kit now, it is very detailed, but also has some failures and missing details, that contrast strangely with the level of detail present in other parts of the motorcycle. Fortunately, there is an abundance of reference material on the web, including an original instructions manual and spare parts list from BMW, so that all errors can be corrected.
The fuel tank is molded to the frame, which is not the case for the Masterbox kit, looks ugly, and restrains adding details to the engine. Also the brass part visible above (and added by me) connecting the lower and the upper part of the frame is molded to the engine in the kit, which looks really ugly. Having corrected this, I now arrived at the basic frame and the engine being put together.
Of course the kit also has its positives. The tires are made from five different parts, and together with the pre-bent PE spokes and the ingenious two part wheel hubs, this builds quite easily into stunningly good looking wheels.
Many parts, like the foot brake, the kick starter and the foot rests are available either as plastic or PE parts. Here, the plastic parts often are out of scale, i.e. too thick, whereas the PE parts suffer from being flat… So these parts have to be scratch build, using the PE parts as far as possible.