While building my, first BMW R75, I really fell in love with this motorcycle. Back then, I realized that there is also a very good kit from Lion Roar available, which I then finally bought. Now I will start building it, and put it together with two FJ figures from Alpine.
Given the nice temperatures currently well above 30 degrees Celsius, this will be indeed a very appropriate build for the summer.
I have finished the build of the vehicle, which went quite smooth after having built another Kuebelwagen just before. I also added some jerry/water cans, and put the car on its base. Now I will start adding some more stowage, as well as two figures.
I also added some more stowage:
After finishing the Kuebelwagen, I painted the two Alpine SS soldiers, which took some time due to the camouflage clothings, but worked out well in the end. I then fixed them to the base, and with that the scene is finished:
I painted the Kuebelwagen (belonging to a Fallschirmjaeger unit) and placed a dead (wounded) soldier in the car. Then it was placed on the base:
I want to build another Kuebelwagen, being inspired from a well known wartime reference picture:
It shows a vehicle from “Sonderkommando Dora”, a special operation conducted in June 1942. The goal was to gain intelligence on the enemies’ positions south of Lybia, and to interrupt the allied supplies arriving that way. This operation was called “Kommando Dora”, and the aforementioned “Sonderkommando” was part of this operation, with the goal of mapping parts of southern Lybia for military purposes.
The picture now shows two soldiers sitting on a Kuebelwagen and studying a map, in the middle of some impassable area covered with large blocks of basalt.
On the fender of the car the emblem of this operation, a scorpion, is also visible:
I have now finished the vignette showcasing the Sd Kfz 231. I added the civilians (figures from MK35), the bar tables and chairs (from Mini Art) and two other German soldiers (converted from Alpine tankers).
During finishing the Sd Kfz 231, I started working on a long planned idea, an ambushed Kuebelwagen and two SS soldiers carefully exploring the situation. The soldiers are the well known ones from Alpine, and the Kuebelwagen is from Tamiya, with some PE add ons from Aber.
I have already almost finished the build of the vehicle. To ease painting, I will add the doors, seats and other details after I painted the chassis. The rods holding the canvas are from the Aber set and are soldered together. The canvas itself was added from putty. The gratings on the floor are carved out and will be remade from styrene sheet.
In the meantime, I closed the vehicle after painting the interior:
I also finished the chassis, and painted it. By pure magic, all the open hatches survived this without damage, so I went on an fixed the vehicle (still without turret) to its base. Then I painted the first two soldier figures and added them also to the base:
Currently, I am working on the two civilians, and also on the turret of the scout car:
I started to work on the Sd Kfz 231 by building the undercarriage, which is quite elaborate due to having eight wheels that are all steered and used to propel the vehicle. As I would like to open quite a few hatches, the interior also has to be detailed, which is not as easy, as with the kit comes only little interior. I also looked around on the web, but I found almost no information on the interior. I did not find anything that is not included in the Nuts & Bolts vol 35, which has some pages with pictures and explanations from one of the few surviving Sd Kfz 231.
So I added some parts (mainly the ammunition racks for the 2cm KwK) and some storage for the personal equipment of the crew. This is then how the interior looks like before and after painting:
I also started to work on the figures. I will use four tankers from Alpine and two French civilians, one old guy walking along and one guy running a coffee house. Two of the tankers are ready for painting, one of them was reworked a little. It actually had an open jacket, which I found much to casual, so I closed it using Magic Sculp. I also started painting the faces of the two French guys:
Now I have finished the Puma build. Construction went well and very fast, as I didn’t wanted to show interior details, apart from the two hatches on top of the turret. But these two were planned to be filled with the two SS tanker figures, so also no need to apply more detail than the rudimentary gun breech from the kit.
The vegetation on the base is from Silhoutte, and turns out to be quite realistic. The grass on the base was airbrushed and highlighted using Tamiya acrylics, but the foliage on the “bushes” that were used to camouflage the vehicle were used from the box, after receiving a layer of matt varnish (also to cover the shiny spots from glueing the foliage to the branches). Attaching the foliage is a quite stressful endeavour, and finally I got the best results by cutting the foliage material into small pieces, that were then attached with a slow, gel-like superglue from the hobby shop. CA used for PE dries out to fast, and also the gel structure helps to attach the material much better. I also tried white glue, but this dries way to slow.
Actually applying the bushes as camouflage was fun, and I managed to strike the balance between applying an sufficient amount of bushes to appear realistic (which is a lot, as can be seen from historic reference fotos), and still being able to show some details of the vehicle.
The figures are stock Alpine.