The next scene I reworked was the Panzerwerfer. I removed the snow, added some trees and bushes and changed the setting to winter with much less snow cover. Hence I also repainted the winter uniforms showing the splinter pattern side, and added a third figure from Alpine.
Now I glued the halves of the Panzerwerfer together, added the final details and painted the vehicle. The camouflage pattern is based on a picture in the very useful Nuts & Bolts Vol. 30 issue. The launcher was built from brass, and parts from a Royal Model kit. I glued in nine of the ten launcher rockets, the last one is handled by the figures that will be added to the model.
Now I will start with the weathering steps and also add the last details…
With the Panzerwerfer, I stopped rebulding a second version of the chassis and used the original Dragon Maultier chassis instead. Then I added the hull parts from the Italeri kit parts and some scratch made brass sheets. Finally, I added some scratch built interior. As this will be barely visible at the end, it should be fine the way it is done. The rockets for the Werfer were copied in resin:
There are at least two interior sets commercially available (Royal Model and Verlinden), but both miss parts, e. g. the structure in the upper half of the hull on which the rocket launcher rests. So I built everything on my own, using the few parts from the Italeri kit.
In the mean time I finished the interior (that will be barely visible on the finished vehicle):
I continued to work on the chassis of the panzerwerfer, with great support from the Dragon Maultier kit. The radiator grill, the tow coupling and the housing of the differential were all copied from resin using the Maultier parts. The axle holders from the running gear are the only parts from the Italeri Maultier kit used, all other parts were made from brass and styrene:
Still a long way to go… The next items to be added will be the fuel tank, some other details left out also in the Maultier kit (from photographic references) and also the front axle with its prominent leaf springs, that are highly visible on this vehicle.
I started to build the Panzerwerfer, and by now I mostly utilized spare parts from a Dragon Maultier kit, which has a lot of unneeded parts that were meant to be used for a Opel Blitz truck. As the Italeri kit is that bad, I try to use this kit only as reference, and will start to built the undercarriage using the spare parts and the photographic reference material available.
The next project will be a vehicle that I like very much: the Panzerwerfer 42. It consists of an Opel Maultier half-track, with an armoured hull and an 15cm tenfold rocket launcher on top of it. The kit I will use is the very old Italeri one, I also have a PE set from Voyager and a Maultier kit from Dragon, that will contribute some spare parts. The Italeri kit is of such poor quality, that I think about rebuilding the whole upper hull from brass.
As reference I sourced some pictures from a walk around of the still existing vehicle in Saumur (France), and I also bought the compehensive volumen 30 of the Nuts & Bolts series, dealing also with the different Nebelwerfers and the Waffen-SS Vielfachwerfer. I also added three crew figures in resin. The scene is thought to be located in Russia in the winter of 1944.
And that is one example how this beautiful vehicle looked like: