Looking back at my sculpted figures, I realized that I have to practice and to refine my skills there much more. I browsed through some war gamer sculpting web sites, looking at the different techniques used.
Then I decided to redo the Russian peasant couple from the Panzerbefehlswagen I scene. I started creating armatures using two pieces of intertwined copper wire, that was then strenghtened using putty at the chest and the pelvis region. Then I added shoes and also a head (only temporary):
I then bent the armatures to their respective poses, and fixed these by adding putty to the wires. It looks quite ugly, but it does the trick.
Then I added again some putty to build up the body proportions, and started with the clothing. The peasant has his trousers added, and to the female figure I added the upper part of her dress, as well as some stockings (as far as the will be visible below the dress:
Now I have finished the two figures, but unfortunately I did not take any pictures while I was sculpting. So these are the finished figures:
Both were sculpted based on historical pictures, like the original figures I made. The guy got a cap, as I did not really like his original hair style. I also changed the legs of the peasant figure, as I had two nice legs available from another conversion project.
Now the figures are painted:
Now I finished the last figure, and attached it to the base. Now the scene featuring the Panzerbefehlswagen I is finished:
In the meantime, I finished painting the peasant couple as well as the tanker, and fixed the figures to the base:
I also started to paint the last figure, another German soldier, where I am currently highlighting and shading the uniform:
Now I have completed the model, and started to paint the model using Tamiya German Grey. Then I started to paint the details on the Tank with Vallejo acrylics.
Now painting and weathering is finished. I used oils, enamels for the dust effects and pigments on the tank. Now only the wood beams on the back are missing.
The tracks were burnished using a burnishing liquid, and then dusted using enamels and paints. Some links where placed on the glacis plate as spare track links.
I also fixed the Panzerbefehlswagen to the base:
The peasant couple is now finished and already primed, like the soldier from Alpine. For this figure, I also crafted another head from a Hornet head and a overseas cap, which is more lively and also somehow aggressive, which helps to convey the “invader” topic of the overall scene. Finally I noticed that the figures from the Dragon Panzerbefehlswagen kit are too large, so I started to build the tanker also from scratch. As this guy will peep out of the hatch on top of the tank, the boots will not be visible, so I used the large Dragon parts there.
The tanker figure is now finished and in the course of being painted:
I started to work on the base, which will be very simple: a part of a plain trail with some grass on its side. As I only started to paint it, it looks very toy-like at the moment.
There will also be some figures, a soldier from Alpine, a tanker (reworked from one of the figures that come with the Dragon tank) and a Russian peasant couple, that will be scratch built. I already started with the woman, it is on the way to get finished soon:
I started the next project with the assembly of the tank. The idea is to use a PE Panzer IB hull from Aber, and to build the characteristic top of the hull from the kit parts. I am in the process of soldering the upper hull together, which is actually a lot of fun :
Now I fitted the upper hull from the original kit parts into the brass hull, and reworked the weld seams from Magic Sculp. I regretted a little to cut away again a lot of the brass hull, but I think this was the best solution to fit the parts together. There is still much brass left, and I try to replace a lot of plastic, especially rods and tubes with brass, as metal simply looks better.
I also continued with the hull, adding the exhaust and the rear fenders. I also built the runing gear, and replaced the kit shock absorbers of the foremost road wheel with a more accurate version scratchbuilt from brass and copper. The other parts are from the Dragon kit or the Aber PE set. Finally, I bought tracks from Friul, and started to put some of the links together:
And again some progress:
Inspired by the fun I had building the small Panzer I, and by some great historical reference pictures, I decided to build a Panzerbefehlswagen I (SdKfz 265). These are the references, from Russia in 1941:
The vehicle has a very awkward look, and the stowage also looks great. The kit I have is from Dragon, and I also got hold of two Aber PE sets for a Panzer I B. So some parts have to be scratch build, including the typical frame antenna. I look very much forward to building this one!