adding the first figures

I fixed the personal carrier to the base, added some details (tools on a cloth, parts from the open stowage box, a jerrycan) and finished the two guys working on the right track. Now the only thing left is to sculpt the soldier painting on the mud. The mud itself is already visible on the left side of the hull:

Advertisements

Continuing with the chassis

I continued to work on the chassis of the panzerwerfer, with great support from the Dragon Maultier kit. The radiator grill, the tow coupling and the housing of the differential were all copied from resin using the Maultier parts. The axle holders from the running gear are the only parts from the Italeri Maultier kit used, all other parts were made from brass and styrene:

Still a long way to go… The next items to be added will be the fuel tank, some other details left out also in the Maultier kit (from photographic references) and also the front axle with its prominent leaf springs, that are highly visible on this vehicle.

A lot has happened

In between I worked a lot on the SdKfz 250, which is now almost ready, apart from some minor touch ups and a final layer of dust still to be applied:

The markings also show that the vehicle will be from the Wiking division, in the south Russian steppe in 1942. I also started to work on the base:

There will be three figures added to the scene, one soldier that will paint the mud on the vehicle and that will be scratch build, and two more guys that will do some maintainance work on the track. These are from an engineer resin set, and are ready to be painted. For the bowl that is used to paint the mud I made both a positive and a negative mould from putty, and finally created the bowl from a thinly rolled sheet of putty.

Starting to build the model

I started to build the Panzerwerfer, and by now I mostly utilized spare parts from a Dragon Maultier kit, which has a lot of unneeded parts that were meant to be used for a Opel Blitz truck. As the Italeri kit is that bad, I try to use this kit only as reference, and will start to built the undercarriage using the spare parts and the photographic reference material available.

New project – Panzerwerfer 42

The next project will be a vehicle that I like very much: the Panzerwerfer 42. It consists of an Opel Maultier half-track, with an armoured hull and an 15cm tenfold rocket launcher on top of it. The kit I will use is the very old Italeri one, I also have a PE set from Voyager and a Maultier kit from Dragon, that will contribute some spare parts. The Italeri kit is of such poor quality, that I think about rebuilding the whole upper hull from brass.

As reference I sourced some pictures from a walk around of the still existing vehicle in Saumur (France), and I also bought the compehensive volumen 30 of the Nuts & Bolts series, dealing also with the different Nebelwerfers and the Waffen-SS Vielfachwerfer. I also added three crew figures in resin. The scene is thought to be located in Russia in the winter of 1944.

And that is one example how this beautiful vehicle looked like:

Finished

In the meantime I had the chance to finish the Kettenkrad and the figures in almost one go, with some relaxing weeks of holidays in between. So this is now the result:

The figures where finished and painted using Vallejo acrylics and some oil washes. The Krad was heavily weathered, starting with sponge chipping and some hand painted chips, using oil washes and a lot of dirt, consisting of oils, plaster and white spirit.

For the base, I discovered that artists’ acrylic paste mixed with plaster and acryilc color makes some very good mud, and I also applied this mixture to the Krad and the trailer. The puddles of still water were added using Vallejo Still Water.

The load of the trailer is from the spare box, and consists of jerry cans, blanket, and bags.

Now this project is finished, it was very demanding due to the sculpture of four figures and the amount of changes required for the Kettenkrad, but I also had a lot of fun and I am quite happy with the result (and my somewhat improving sculpting skills)…

The interior is ready to be painted

Now I finished the interior to the point that it can be painted, before the two halves of the frame will be glued together. I used an Aber PE upper hull set, and also replaced the engine cover with brass parts. All other parts are from Aber PE sets, and some like the seats or the gearing are completely scratch built:

The stains on the brass parts are from the flux I use for soldering. Looks not very nice, but the surface will be totally even and clean when finally painted.

Building the interior

The armoured personnel carrier will be built from inside out. I will start with the interior, with the lower and upper part of the hull still being separated. After painting and weathering, the two halves will be glued together, and the construction of the vehicle will be continued.

I started already to work on the interior. The floor plates are from Aber, as well as most of the other brass parts visible. As on the lower inner parts on both sides of the hull imprints of the mould releases are quite visible, I added a thin sheet of brass on each side. The seats are scratchbuilt from brass, and the seat cushions are made from Magic Sculp.

New project – SdKfz 250 armoured personnel carrier with mud camouflage

The following picture provided the inspiration for this project:

It shows a SdKfz 250 armoured personnel carrier, with a camouflage pattern made from mud being applied. The vehicle that I will use is from Dragon, and has already been on my shelf for quite some time. Additionally, I will use some Aber PE sets.

The Krad is ready to be painted

I have now finished the construction of the Krad, and now it can be painted: