Finally, I added a British roadsign taken from a reference picture taken in June 1942.
After finishing the motorcycle, I added two nice Fallschirmjaeger figures from Alpine, that were used almost unaltered. Only the MP 40 of one figure was exchanged against one from Dragon, taken from the spares box. I also added a pair of goggles to the guy with the MP, carefully removed from another resin head.
Painting went quite well and was a lot of fun. Then I fixed the two figures to the base:
During the last two weeks, I almost finished the build of the motorcycle, with the sidecar being left to be built. As in the last build, I used a lot of scratch parts, together with some of the kit’s PE and plastic parts. Now the bike is ready to be primed:
For the brake and clutch cables, I used the old school thinned plastic wires made from heated sprue parts. They just have the right tension and look better than brass or copper wires.
After fixing the Kuebel to its base, and adding some stowage (some scratchbuilt, some from the spares box), I started to paint the figures. Both were stock figures, requiring slight changes to make them fit to the windscreen position as shown in the reference picture. Then painting started. I also added a board with a map, which is actually a real Dora map.
Having finished painting the figures, I fixed them to the car. Now this scene is also finished.
I started to build the cycle, and this was surprisingly sobering. Before this kit, I had a look at three others, when I first built the BMW R75. There is the very old and outdated kit from Tamiya, which features a very good reproduction of the fork of the front wheel, and there is a kit from Italeri, that has nicely detailed parts like the engine cylinders, but also gross mistakes. The one I used as basis for my first build is the kit from Masterbox, which has many correct features and follows the composition of the original bike quite closely.
Talking about the Lion Roar kit now, it is very detailed, but also has some failures and missing details, that contrast strangely with the level of detail present in other parts of the motorcycle. Fortunately, there is an abundance of reference material on the web, including an original instructions manual and spare parts list from BMW, so that all errors can be corrected.
The fuel tank is molded to the frame, which is not the case for the Masterbox kit, looks ugly, and restrains adding details to the engine. Also the brass part visible above (and added by me) connecting the lower and the upper part of the frame is molded to the engine in the kit, which looks really ugly. Having corrected this, I now arrived at the basic frame and the engine being put together.
Of course the kit also has its positives. The tires are made from five different parts, and together with the pre-bent PE spokes and the ingenious two part wheel hubs, this builds quite easily into stunningly good looking wheels.
Many parts, like the foot brake, the kick starter and the foot rests are available either as plastic or PE parts. Here, the plastic parts often are out of scale, i.e. too thick, whereas the PE parts suffer from being flat… So these parts have to be scratch build, using the PE parts as far as possible.
While building my, first BMW R75, I really fell in love with this motorcycle. Back then, I realized that there is also a very good kit from Lion Roar available, which I then finally bought. Now I will start building it, and put it together with two FJ figures from Alpine.
Given the nice temperatures currently well above 30 degrees Celsius, this will be indeed a very appropriate build for the summer.
I want to build another Kuebelwagen, being inspired from a well known wartime reference picture:
It shows a vehicle from “Sonderkommando Dora”, a special operation conducted in June 1942. The goal was to gain intelligence on the enemies’ positions south of Lybia, and to interrupt the allied supplies arriving that way. This operation was called “Kommando Dora”, and the aforementioned “Sonderkommando” was part of this operation, with the goal of mapping parts of southern Lybia for military purposes.
The picture now shows two soldiers sitting on a Kuebelwagen and studying a map, in the middle of some impassable area covered with large blocks of basalt.
On the fender of the car the emblem of this operation, a scorpion, is also visible: