In the meantime I finished the driver’s figure:
The boots and the trousers will be weathered with some mud, and the head (as well as the hands) only received the first layer of skin color. The head is from Hornet, and really very finely detailed.
The already built part of the Opel’s driver cab has been painted and the first weathering steps are also visible: some fading with oils, sponge chipping and added dirt on the floor. The dashboard is almost finished, the only things missing are the glass covers of the different displays and perhaps a piece of cloth in the tray.
The color is Tamiya German grey, on top of it I sprayed some acrylic varnish. The varnish is supposed to be matte, but to me it adds a very nice satin finish.
The leaf springs are also almost finished. They are quite good to build, and soldering most of the parts really helps. I already mounted the front axle to the frame:
I continued to rework the driver figure. Now I also used Magic Sculpt. This putty is much softer than Milliput, and is therefore much easier to feather into existing details. For details that are better made from some harder material, it is advisable to let it cure for a while or to switch to Milliput instead.
And that is how the figure looks like now:
The right arm and the touch ups on the collar are made from Magic Sculpt.
I also continued building the driver’s cab:
The dashboard is now finished. Building the hood from the PE parts in the set is a delicate task, but the louvers on both sides are nicely detailed and definitely worth the effort. Now some parts are still to be added, and then this group will be painted (without roof, doors and back wall for the time being). Until then the driver figure will also be finished.
For all changes to my figures I made until now I used the standard Milliput putty. I also have some Magic Sculpt on the shelf, that I will try later.
It is very important to work with very thinly rolled sheets of putty. To roll out putty, I use baby powder. Pour some powder on a smooth even surface, and you can start, using some round piece of metal.
To apply and smooth the parts made from putty I use rubbing alcohol. If you want to touch up some areas on already painted figures, you can also use tap water thus avoiding to remove the paint again by accident. If some putty is left, you can keep it in the freezer, where it should stay workable for at least 24 hours.
I have just started to use putty for remodelling figures, but I think the key is to work in single layers, and to always wait for the putty to cure in between. So you have a lot of control over the process and are safe from accidentaly damaging already sculpted areas again.
After finishing the BMW R75, I started a new project: One of the famous Opel Blitz 3 ton cargo trucks stuck in mud and being pulled out. For some inspiration, have a look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rasputitsa
I use the kit from Tamiya, together with a PE upgrade set from Voyager. I also found some real leaf springs on the web from Minor.
I will add some figures as well, but I will now start with building the Opel. The first part will be the drivers cab, followed by the frame and the cargo bay. It looks like it is possible to build everything separately and join the three construction groups at the very end of the construction. The PE set comprises some additions to the cab and a complete rebuild of the cargo bay. Looks challenging…
Some first pics of the cab:
The clutch is pressed, the other parts are all from the PE set. The dashboard lacks some switches and buttons to be scratchbuilt.
I want to use one of the two figures included in the Tamiya kit as driver. They are very poorly moulded, so I started to rework one figure. I changed the boots to fit them to the clutch pedal and the throttle, and added a Hornet head. I just started to sculpt the uniform jacket again:
After again several months, I finished the small diorama.
I added a machine gun to the side car, made from resin and featuring a nice brass barrel from Aber. On the floor of the side car two further magazines are visible.
After adding some more dirt and mud splashes, I fixed the bike to the base and added the second soldier: