News from the diorama base

The last weeks I spent building the bike and the base. Let’s start with the bike: the set is not of the best quality, as the plastic is very soft and the frame of the bike was already broken into pieces when I opened the box. In addition to that, my building efforts looked not good to me, so at the end I decided to buy another set and start from scratch again. And you name it, the plastic now is of another color, much harder and the individual parts have much better details… I think the first time I got a set that has been on the shelf for quite some time.

I also rediscovered another truth (I should have know better in the first place): It is much better to join PE parts by soldering than by using CA glue.

At least I made some progress with the base. I covered it with veneer, which was then stained and varnished. It looked like that then:

Sockel

Then I glued small pieces of insulation foam on the wooden parts, in order to keep the celluclay layer as thin as possible.

The celluclay was mixed using white glue, water and some earth-colored acrylic color. On the base I also applied a layer of white glue before adding the celluclay with a spatula and a brush. Then I pressed small stones and little pebbles into the still wet clay.

After all had dried, I teared a grass mat from NOCH (called nature plus, I bought it a while ago) into pieces and glued these onto the base. It looks quite nice now, but has to be painted of course:

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.